Virtual tour of City of Adelaide. Panorama of City of Adelaide. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  panorama

City of Adelaide

POI: -34.933333, 138.600000
The City of Adelaide is a local government area in the metropolitan area of Adelaide, South Australia. It covers the original Adelaide city centre settlement, (also known as the city, the square mile and (inaccurately) the CBD), North Adelaide, and the Adelaide Park Lands which surround North Adelaide and the city centre. Established in 1840, the organisation now known as the Adelaide City Council (ACC) is the oldest municipal authority in Australia. At its time of establishment, Adelaide's (and Australia's) first mayor, James Hurtle Fisher, was elected. From 1919 onwards, the municipality has had a Lord Mayor, the current being Martin Haese who replaced Stephen Yarwood in 2014.
History
Initially the new colony was managed by the colonial government. The first municipality was established in 1840 as the Adelaide Corporation. However, due to a combination of the hostility of the incoming Governor Grey and falling revenues due to the onset of the colony's first economic crisis, the corporation became moribud in 1843. From 1843 to 1849, control and management reverted to the colonial government, and from 1849 to 1852 the municipality was managed by a Commission with five members. With the positive economic effects of the Victorian gold-rush, a formal municipality was re-established in 1852, and "has operated continuously ever since". However, The city's relationship with the state and federal government has been described as being 'a continually abrasive relationship'. The Council started in 1840 with nineteen members, who chose four of their number to be Aldermen, and then one of these (James Hurtle Fisher) to be Mayor. In 1852 the municipality was divided into four wards. Three Councillors and one Alderman were chosen, who in turn selected the Mayor. In 1861 the Mayor was chosen by all the electors and the position of Alderman was temporarily abolished. In 1873 the municipality was divided into six Wards, each represented by two Councillors. In 1880 the office of Alderman was recreated; they were chosen by electors of all Wards. The office of Mayor was raised to the stature of Lord Mayor by Royal Letters Patent in 1919. The Lord Mayor received the right to be styled ‘The Right Honourable’ in 1927. The Arms of the City of Adelaide were granted by the Heralds College in 1929. In 1982 the Council approved the design of the Armorial Flag. In 2015, the Council became the first government of any kind in Australia to offer a financial incentive for installing battery systems.
Population
At the end of the 20th century, the city had little more than thirty per cent of the population it had in 1915 (when the population reached more than 43,000), and about 5,000 less than the 1855 population of 18,259. According to the Annual Reports since then, the population has increased rapidly, and in line with the targets stated in the strategic plans developed at about that time. Notes The population figures have been extracted from Adelaide City Council...   ... (English)
City of Adelaide - Deutsch -> English  Polska -> English  
City of Adelaide (gebied) - Nederlandse -> English  
Ville d'Adélaïde - Français -> English  
Città di Adelaide - Italiano -> English  
by Panoramio
Adelaide Victoria Square
Adelaide Victoria Square
Henk van Es
go place
Basking at the Adelaide Central Market
Basking at the Adelaide Central Market
Rainer.Lucks
go place
Adelaide: Victoria Square
Adelaide: Victoria Square
Mangaltepe
go place
Adelaide
Adelaide
2 Giuseppe Caterina
go place
Adelaide Central Market
Adelaide Central Market
Rainer.Lucks
go place
SAINT FRANCIS XAVIER CATHEDRAL - 2002
SAINT FRANCIS XAVIER CATHEDRAL - 2002
celso m. andrade
go place
Adelaide Tram
Adelaide Tram
bennits
go place