Virtual tour of Adelaide Town Hall. Panorama of Adelaide Town Hall. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  panorama

Adelaide Town Hall

POI: -34.926100, 138.600183
Adelaide Town Hall is a landmark building on King William Street in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia. The City of Adelaide Town Hall complex includes the Town Hall and the office building at 25 Pirie Street.
Description and history
Adelaide Town Hall was designed by Edmund Wright and Edward Woods, with construction commencing in 1863 and completed in 1866. The tower is named after Prince Albert and the clock was installed in 1935. The Adelaide Town Hall was the venue on 1 August 1895 for the inaugural meeting of the Australasian Federation League of South Australia, this organisation having been formed at a meeting convened seven months earlier by the Australian Natives' Association in the colony. This league was the principal organisation that campaigned in favour of federation in South Australia. The meeting at the Town Hall was a major public gathering attended by many prominent South Australians. The meeting was also notable for the large number of women who attended. The hall is famous for an appearance by The Beatles on the balcony in 1964, which attracted an estimated 300,000 fans, their biggest crowd. It serves as the seat of the Adelaide City Council, concerts with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra and has function centre facilities available for hire. It is one of the world's five greatest acoustic venues for symphonic concerts. Adelaide Town Hall is listed on the Register of the National Estate.
Pipe Organ
After the official opening in 1866, a campaign began to obtain a pipe organ for the Auditorium. The City’s amateur musicians held two concerts which raised ₤120 for the Organ Fund, only to see the money used to settle the outstanding account for the Albert Bells instead. In 1869, the Adelaide Philharmonic Society was formed and the choir staged 25 concerts over the next six years to raise over ₤500 for the Organ Fund. The estimated cost of the organ was ₤1,200 and the Council had promised to contribute ₤600. In 1875 Council ordered an organ from the London manufacturers, William Hill & Son. As a compromise on the cost, the Council decided to have Hill & Son construct the organ so that it could be added to in later years. The total cost came to £2106.16s.9d. The opening concert was held on 2 October 1877 but it wasn't long before a campaign to enlarge the organ by adding solo stops began and this upgrade was completed in 1885. The hydraulic engine was replaced in 1923 by an electric motor but after frequent criticism that it was out of date, the Council eventually voted to replace the original century-old pipe organ in 1989.
References...
  ... (English)
by Panoramio
0144 Adelaide, Town Hall
0144 Adelaide, Town Hall
Daniel Meyer
go place
Adelaide PostOffice
Adelaide PostOffice
bennits
go place
0143 Adelaide, Victoria Square, Post Office
0143 Adelaide, Victoria Square, Post Office
Daniel Meyer
go place
Adelaide Tram
Adelaide Tram
bennits
go place
SAINT FRANCIS XAVIER CATHEDRAL - 2002
SAINT FRANCIS XAVIER CATHEDRAL - 2002
celso m. andrade
go place
Adelaide: Victoria Square
Adelaide: Victoria Square
Mangaltepe
go place
0152 Adelaide, pigs in Rundle Mall
0152 Adelaide, pigs in Rundle Mall
Daniel Meyer
go place