Virtual tour of Adelaide Central Market. Panorama of Adelaide Central Market. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  panorama

Adelaide Central Market

POI: -34.929722, 138.597500
The Adelaide Central Market is one of Australia's largest fresh produce markets providing a wide range of fresh and multi-cultural products. It is also a popular tourist attraction in the heart of Adelaide and is often referred to as the Central Market. The Central Market sells a wide variety of goods, including fruit & vegetables, meat & seafood, cafes, breads and much more. It has a vibrant atmosphere and is one of Adelaide's best-known landmarks. It is also the most visited place in South Australia with approximately 8 million visitors per year.
Establishment of the Market
The Market began in Grote Street in 1869 and was known as the City Markets, with its official opening by Mayor Judah Solomon on 22 January 1870. In 1869, land was bought in the present day location of the markets for £2600 for three town acres. However, the main markets at that time was the East End Markets that existed between Rundle Street and North Terrace. This market would equal the Adelaide Central Market until 1988. Because of the overflow of the East End Markets, some traders moved to the Central Market. The structure of the building was constructed of wood and iron sheets and completed in June 1869. At its commencement, it opened on Tuesdays and Saturdays with 50 to 100 produce carts. Shops were built along the perimeter of the markets and facing the streets. In the early 1880s, fish supplies were scarce in Adelaide and had to be brought from Port Augusta and Port Pirie by rail. Today the Central Markets are surrounded by the Central Market Arcade, Adelaide China Town, and Market Plaza. The 'centre' of the Central Markets is made up primarily of fresh produce stalls, with the perimeter and arcade shops being mainly cafés, restaurants, and variety stores.
Expansion and Redevelopment
On 8 February 1900, a foundation stone was laid by Mayoress Rosa Ware, in the presence of the Mayor of Adelaide, Arthur Ware. Shops were added as well as a refrigeration plant for fruit and fish. Electricity was added in 1902 to replace the gas lighting. Arcade shops were added in 1915 on the eastern side. At that stage, amusements were provided such as darts, billatelle shooting galleries, ball bowling, hoop-la and cheap jacks. The addition of other businesses, such as the Hampshire Hotel in 1911, the Moore's Department stores in 1914 and Her Majesty's Theatre also attracted customers. The Market opened for trading on Tuesday, commencing April 1920. In December 1922, the fish quarters of the Market was demolished and further arcades of 32 shops were added. On 27 December 1925, the North Eastern quarters of the Market were partly damaged through fire. In 1929, butchers' licences for the Market were not renewed because of sanitary concerns. Redevelopment of the Market commenced on 18 January 1965 with the demolition of the east end facade of market in Grote Street and addition of a car park. The new market was opened on 17 June 1966 by Lord Mayor James Irwin. Prior to August 1965...   ... (English)
Mercado central de Adelaida - Español -> English  
by Panoramio
Basking at the Adelaide Central Market
Basking at the Adelaide Central Market
Rainer.Lucks
go place
City Markets
City Markets
Pierre Beautrais
go place
Adelaide Central Market
Adelaide Central Market
Rainer.Lucks
go place
Adelaide: Victoria Square
Adelaide: Victoria Square
Mangaltepe
go place
Adelaide Tram
Adelaide Tram
bennits
go place
Adelaide Victoria Square
Adelaide Victoria Square
Henk van Es
go place
0143 Adelaide, Victoria Square, Post Office
0143 Adelaide, Victoria Square, Post Office
Daniel Meyer
go place