Virtual tour of Cölln. Panorama of Cölln. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  panorama

Cölln

POI: 52.513333, 13.404722
In the 13th century Cölln (German: [ˈkœln]) was the sister town of Old Berlin (Altberlin), located on the southern Spree Island in the Margraviate of Brandenburg. Today the island is located in the historic core of the central Mitte locality of modern Berlin. Its northern peak is known as Museum Island, while the part south of Gertraudenstraße is called Fischerinsel (Fisher Island).
History
Cölln is first mentioned in a 1237 deed, denoting a priest Symeon of Cölln's Saint Peter's Church as a witness. This date is commonly regarded as the origin of Berlin, though Altberlin on the eastern bank of the Spree river was not mentioned before 1244 and part of nowadays Greater Berlin like Spandau and Köpenick are even older. Cölln and Altberlin were separated only by the river Spree, linked by the Mühlendamm causeway, hence there was a close connection right from the start. Since the trade route from Magdeburg to Frankfurt (Oder) crosses the twin town and the inland water-transportation routes also passed through it, Cölln-Berlin quickly came to prosperity. A second crossing, the Lange Brücke (Long Bridge), today the Rathausbrücke (Town Hall Bridge) was erected across the Spree in 1307 with a common town hall in the middle of it. The common policy of Berlin and Cölln led 1307 to a first alliance with other towns (Brandenburg an der Havel, Frankfurt (Oder) and Salzwedel) in the March to defend their rights against the sovereign. The Elector Frederick II Irontooth of Brandenburg ended the autonomy of Cölln/Berlin and declared the twin town to his residence in 1451. In 1710 the twin cities Cölln and old Berlin merged by the order of King Frederick I to form the capital of Prussia. As Altberlin was twice as big as Cölln at that time, the merged city was named Berlin. The name of Cölln survives in the Berlin southeastern borough of Neukölln (New Cölln). Originally a southern extension of Cölln was called Neukölln am Wasser, and the "Köllnischer Park" and the street "Am Köllnischen Park" are both located in the adjacent area. The Bärenzwinger enclosure situated within the park is home o three brown bears (the bear is the heraldic animal of the City of Berlin), representing the cradle of the city.
Places of interest
Cölln's centre the Saint Peter's Church, originally built about 1230 and reconstructed several times over the centuries, had been badly damaged by air raids and the Battle of Berlin in 1945. It was finally demolished in 1964. The church bore its name because many of Cölln's inhabitants depended on fishing. Today only the name of the Petriplatz square marks the site. From here the Brüderstraße runs north, named after the brothers of a former Dominican monastery established in 1297. Though most of the neighbourhood was destroyed, a few Baroque houses remained: The bookseller Christoph Friedrich Nicolai lived on Brüderstraße 13 from 1787 until his death in 1811. Today the house is still called Nicolaihaus, it was erected about 1670 and had...   ... (English)
Cölln - Deutsch -> English  Nederlandse -> English  Français -> English  Italiano -> English  Português -> English  Norske -> English  Svenska -> English  Danske -> English  Suomalainen -> English  
Кёльн (Берлин) - Русский -> English  
科隆 (柏林) - 简体中文 -> English  
by Panoramio
Berlin in HDR
Berlin in HDR
M.Reinhardt
go place
Alt-Berlin mit Plattenbau
Alt-Berlin mit Plattenbau
fEttarm
go place
Berlin
Berlin
picture fan
go place
Berlin
Berlin
picture fan
go place
5 days in Berlin. Day # 3
5 days in Berlin. Day # 3
Regina Shepetya
go place
Berlin, night, ulitsa, dedicated to Renate and Frank
Berlin, night, ulitsa, dedicated to Renate and Frank
Georgy K
go place
CK Brücke Wallstrasse
CK Brücke Wallstrasse
Carl030nl
go place