Virtual tour of Evangelisches Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster. Panorama of Evangelisches Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  panorama

Evangelisches Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster

POI: 52.518611, 13.412500
The Evangelisches Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster, located in suburban Schmargendorf, Berlin, is an independent school with a humanistic profile, known as one of the most prestigious schools in Germany. Founded by the Evangelical Church in West Berlin in 1949 as the Evangelisches Gymnasium, it continues the traditions of the ancient Berlinisches Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster, the oldest Gymnasium in Berlin, which for hundreds of years was situated in former monastery buildings in the city's Mitte district, closed by the East Germans in 1958. In 1963 the Evangelisches Gymnasium of West Berlin adopted its traditions and added "zum Grauen Kloster" to its name.
Curriculum
The Evangelisches Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster is one of the last schools in Berlin offering the entire range of classical education with Latin and Ancient Greek as compulsory subjects. The students learn foreign languages in this order: English (year 5), Latin (year 5), Ancient Greek (year 8), French (year 9 optional). Additionally, it is possible to learn Hebrew and Dutch.
Extracurricular activities
The debating society deserves particular mention as members of the society have won several Jugend debattiert student competitions over the last years.
History
The original school was established on 13 July 1574 by Elector John George of Hohenzollern as the first Protestant Latin school in Brandenburg at the site of a medieval Greyfriars monastery (Graues Kloster), that had been secularised in 1539 in the course of the Reformation. The premises were centered around the Gothic abbey church dating from the 13th century, whose ruins are still being visible near Alexanderplatz. After the ancient school's buildings had been destroyed by Allied air raids in 1945, the original school moved several times. After the political division of Berlin in 1949, the Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster found itself in East Berlin and the Evangelical Church established the present school in West Berlin as the Evangelisches Gymnasium. This found a new home in Schmargendorf in 1954. In 1958 the Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster was officially abolished by the Communist authorities, and in 1963 the Evangelisches Gymnasium adopted its traditions and name. The remnants of the original school's library, including donations by Sigismund Streit and Christoph Friedrich Nicolai, are now kept at the Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin.
Notable alumni and staff of the Berlinisches Gymnasium
Alumni Johann Crüger (1598–1662), composer Johann Gottfried Schadow, (1764–1850), architect Friedrich Daniel Ernst Schleiermacher, (1768–1834), theologian and philosopher Karl Friedrich Schinkel, (1781–1841), architect Friedrich Ludwig Jahn (1778–1852), "father of gymnastics" Carl Ludwig Christian Rümker (1788–1862), astronomer Johann Gustav Droysen (1808–1884), German historian Carl Mayet (1810–1868) chess master Hermann Lebert (1813–1878), German physician, pathologist Hermann Bonitz (1814–1888), German scholar Johann Georg...   ... (English)
Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster - Deutsch -> English  Italiano -> English  
Berlinisches Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster - Français -> English  
by Panoramio
Berlin, Mitte
Berlin, Mitte
picture fan
go place
Berlin (from the tower), Germany.
Berlin (from the tower), Germany.
André Bonacin
go place
CK Waisenstrasse Friedhof, Parochialkirche, Stadthaus
CK Waisenstrasse Friedhof, Parochialkirche, Stadthaus
Carl030nl
go place
CK Berliner Bewachsung Grunerstrasse
CK Berliner Bewachsung Grunerstrasse
Carl030nl
go place
BERLIN Alexa Shopping Centre
BERLIN Alexa Shopping Centre
andrevishay
go place
Alexa (Alexanderplatz)
Alexa (Alexanderplatz)
tintisol
go place
The Art of tower
The Art of tower
Little_big_Angus
go place