Virtual tour of Finlayson Church. Panorama of Finlayson Church. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  panorama

Finlayson Church

POI: 61.502222, 23.755000
The Finlayson Church is a church built in Gothic Revival style located in the Finlayson industrial area in Tampere, Finland. It was built in 1879 as the church of the Finlayson cotton factory. The church was used as a place where the factory workers could practice religion. Currently the church belongs to the Evangelical-Lutheran congregations of Tampere, and it is used as a children's road church and a popular church for weddings.
History
The church was built for the use of the Finlayson factory workers in 1879. It was built primarily as a place to practice religion, but the first working day of the year was started with a service there right until the 1970s. The Finlayson factory workers founded their own congregation from 1846 to 1860. The factory had its own priest, a factory preacher right until 1982. The factory gave the church away and the lot it stands on for free to the Evangelist-Lutheran congregation in Tampere in 1981. A condition for the transfer was that the church must continue to be called the Finlayson Church.
Architecture
The church was designed by the city architect of Tampere at the time, Frans Ludvig Calonius. The material for the church's facade is clean red brick. It resembles an English congregationalist church in that the preaching chair and the organ are unusually located behind the altar. The church also has no kind of altar table or sculpture whatsoever. The church used to have benches stretching the full width of its hallway, but these were later separated into two parts by a corridor in the middle. The church's organ was built by the company William Hill & Son in the 1850, and they were brought to the church from St. Petersburg, Russia, in 1879. The church was repaired from September 2007 to late summer 2008. The plank floor was replaced with a plate floor. The church's colour was also changed to a darker shade.
Current activity
The church is currently owned by the Evangelist-Lutheran congregation of Tampere. The church seats 280 people. The Finlayson Church is used as the only children's church in Finland. The children's altars have a Children's Bible, and next to it are installations depicting various biblical events. As the church was built as a prayer room, it does not hold a regular Sunday service. Because of its central location, small size and pleasant architecture, the church is one of the most popular wedding churches in Tampere.
Sources
Tampereen seurakunnat: Finlaysonin kirkko Accessed on 28 May 2008.
External links
Finlayson Church (architectural heritage registry) Kulttuuriympäristön rekisteriportaali. The Finnish Museum Bureau. A description of the Finlayson Church by the Finlaysonin alue site A description of the Finlayson Church by Tampere-opas...   ... (English)
Église de Finlayson - Français -> English  
Finlaysons kyrka - Svenska -> English  
Finlaysonin kirkko - Suomalainen -> English  
by Panoramio
Former head office of Finlayson textile industry (built 1895)
Former head office of Finlayson textile industry (built 1895)
Timo Rossi
go place
Finlayson
Finlayson
vandemberg
go place
Näsinneula amusement park
Näsinneula amusement park
Veijari
go place
Tampere
Tampere
vandemberg
go place
Tampere - Finlayson
Tampere - Finlayson
Samfu
go place
Tampella, towards N
Tampella, towards N
Heikki Santasalo
go place
Tampere
Tampere
samous
go place