Virtual tour of Saint-Jacques Tower. Panorama of Saint-Jacques Tower. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  panorama

Saint-Jacques Tower

POI: 48.858056, 2.348889
Saint-Jacques Tower (Tour Saint-Jacques) is a monument located in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, France, on Rue de Rivoli at Rue Nicolas Flamel. This 52-metre (171 ft) Flamboyant Gothic tower is all that remains of the former 16th-century Church of Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie ("Saint James of the butchery"), which was demolished in 1797, during the French Revolution, leaving only the tower. What remains of the destroyed church of St. Jacques La Boucherie is now considered a national historic landmark. The closest métro station is Châtelet.
History
The Way of St. James
The tower's rich decoration reflects the wealth of its patrons, the wholesale butchers of the nearby Les Halles market. The masons in charge were Jean de Felin, Julien Ménart and Jean de Revier. It was built in 1509 to 1523, during the reign of King Francis I. With a dedication to Saint James the Greater, the ancient church and its landmark tower welcomed pilgrims setting out on the road that led to Tours and headed for the way of St James, which led to the major pilgrimage destination of Santiago de Compostela. A relic of the saint preserved in the church linked it the more strongly and in modern times occasioned its listing in 1998 as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO among the sites and structures marking the chemins de Compostelle, the pilgrimage routes in France that led like tributaries of a great stream headed towards Santiago in the northwest of Spain.
Nineteenth century
The church, with the exception of the tower, was demolished in 1793; preservation of the tower was a condition of the contract by which the church was bought for the value of its building materials. In 1824 it was being used as a shot tower to make small shot. It was repurchased by the City of Paris in 1836 and declared a Monument Historique in 1862. A statue of the saint was installed on the top of the tower during the 19th century. During the Second Empire, the architect Théodore Ballu restored the tower, placing it on a pedestal and designing a small city park around it. This coincided with the construction of the rue de Rivoli and the avenue Victoria nearby, requiring huge quantities of earth to be removed to ensure the rue de Rivoli a smooth flat path. The pedestal allowed the tower to retain its original elevation: nowadays, the change in ground level can best be appreciated in rue St-Bon, just northeast of the tower, where a staircase leads up to the original street level at rue de la Verrerie. A statue of Blaise Pascal is located at the base of the tower, commemorating the experiments on atmospheric pressure, though it is debated whether they were performed here or at the church of Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas. A meteorological laboratory is also installed at the top of the tower. The tower inspired Alexandre Dumas to write the play La tour Saint-Jacques-de-la-boucherie in 1856. Nicolas Flamel, a patron of the church, was buried under its floor.
Modern restoration
The tower was...   ... (English)
Turm Saint-Jacques - Deutsch -> English  
Tour Saint-Jacques - Nederlandse -> English  Français -> English  Italiano -> English  
Башня Сен-Жак - Русский -> English  
Wieża Saint Jacques w Paryżu - Polska -> English  
Вежа Сен-Жак - Український -> English  
Torre de Santiago (París) - Español -> English  
Věž Saint-Jacques - České -> English  
Torre Saint-Jacques - Português -> English  
圣雅各伯塔 - 简体中文 -> English  
by Panoramio
Paris at dusk-CONTEST
Paris at dusk-CONTEST
tu-quoque
go place
Paris
Paris
Adam Salwanowicz
go place
雕塑 Sculpture
雕塑 Sculpture
Pozlp风格
go place
La nuit a  la Conciergerie
La nuit a la Conciergerie
farangas
go place
Paris, quai de Seine, la Conciergerie au crépuscule.
Paris, quai de Seine, la Conciergerie au crépuscule.
Laurent Bois-Mariage
go place
Pompidou
Pompidou
Brent Townshend
go place
lightsources
lightsources
ch. bebessi
go place