Virtual tour of Norman Shaw Buildings. Panorama of Norman Shaw Buildings. Maps, travel, photos, videos.
Norman Shaw Buildings
POI: 51.502238, -0.124666
The Norman Shaw Buildings (formerly known as New Scotland Yard) are a pair of buildings in Westminster, London. Built by renowned architect Richard Norman Shaw between 1887 and 1906, they were originally the location of New Scotland Yard (the headquarters of the Metropolitan Police) until 1967, but from 1979 have been used as Parliamentary offices and have been named Norman Shaw North and South Buildings, augmenting limited space in the Palace of Westminster.
ArchitectureThe buildings are in banded red brick and white portland stone on a granite base in the Victorian Romanesque style, and are located upon Victoria Embankment next-door to Portcullis House. The North Building is Grade I listed. It was designed in 1887 as the replacement central offices of the Metropolitan Police, Shaw being the personal choice of the Home Secretary, Henry Matthews. It was built on land reclaimed from the River Thames by the building of the Victoria Embankment and which was previously allocated to a new opera house which was already partly built. The cost was around £120,000. In 1888, during the construction of New Scotland Yard, workers discovered the dismembered torso of a female; the case, known as the "Whitehall Mystery", has never been solved. Opened in 1890, the building was soon found inadequate for the growing police force and an extension was required. The South Building, now Grade II* listed, built 1902–1906, was originally called Scotland House. Its elevations were designed by Shaw. It was linked to the original north building by a bridge over the then public road. Iron gates by Reginald Blomfield were erected. They are now Grade II* listed.
Refurbishment by House of CommonsThe north building was refurbished between 1973 and 1975 at a cost of £3,250,000 with the external walls being cleaned and the interior being re-fitted with offices for 128 MPs and their secretaries, dormitories (converted to offices in 2002), television studios, a library and the House of Commons Print Room. False ceilings were erected to conserve heat and improve lighting and carpets were laid. In 2000 a walkway to the Palace of Westminster via Portcullis House was created to reduce the time for members to reach the chamber for divisions (voting). The south building was refurbished between 1976 and 1979 with offices for 56 MPs, a gymnasium (later moved to another building) and a flat for the Clerk of the House. No false ceilings or carpeting were fitted, nor was any exterior cleaning carried out. A further refurbishment of the interior and exterior and roof was done between 2001 and 2003.
Offices of the Leader of the OppositionUnder the leadership of Michael Howard, David Cameron, and Ed Miliband, the office of the Leader of the Opposition has been situated in a suite in the Norman Shaw Buildings.
See alsoAlbion House – Former White Star Line headquarters in Liverpool which were inspired architecturally by the Norman Shaw Buildings
Nearby sights panorama
Ludgate Hill railway station (1879m)
Elephant & Castle tube station (1932m)
Princess's Theatre, London (1763m)
New Scotland Yard (27m)
Red Lion, Westminster (72m)
Portcullis House (106m)
Westminster Millennium Pier (107m)
The Cenotaph, Whitehall (113m)
Harry Fainlight (113m)
Richmond House (123m)
Westminster tube station (140m)
Korean War Memorial, London (172m)
Big Ben (181m)
Ministry of Defence (Norway) (185m)