Virtual tour of De La Salle College (Malta). Panorama of De La Salle College (Malta). Maps, travel, photos, videos.

Description  panorama

De La Salle College (Malta)

POI: 35.884200, 14.528600
De La Salle College is a boys' Catholic school in Cospicua, Malta. It was founded in 1903, and was the first school in Malta established by the Brothers of the Christian Schools (better known as the Lasallians). The College consists of a primary section, secondary school and a coeducational sixth form.
History of the College
De La Salle College was founded in November 1903 with permission from Sir Charles Clarke, Governor of Malta. The school was closed during the 1910s due to the lack of students but reopened several months later. The College was not spared during the Siege of Malta in 1940. Due to structural damage to school buildings the Brothers and students stayed with other Catholic communities for the duration of the war. In 1961 boarding was introduced and the school magazine Lasallian was first published. A sixth form was opened in 1966 as a joint venture between the College and fellow Lasallian school Stella Maris College in Gzira. Due to a dispute between church and educational authorities, the College was closed for the 1983-84 academic year. Girls have been admitted to the sixth form since the 1970s.
De La Salle College established a name for itself in the field of sports and physical education. Many former students went on to represent their country in football, handball, water-polo, athletics, tennis, squash, badminton, basketball, hockey, sailing, karate and others. In inter-college sports, De La Salle is always prominent. It is worth recording that the College built the first full-size sports hall in Malta, which became the venue for various associations to hold their national competitions. Outside playing fields to cater for various disciplines form an integral part of the school premises.
The De La Salle Monument
In 1951, the 1,500 schools and colleges of the De La Salle Order spread through the five continents celebrated the Third Centenary of the birth of St. John Baptist de la Salle. The students who at De La Salle College were preparing to enter H.M. Dockyard, Malta, resolved to donate their first weekly salary towards the erection of a statue of the saint in the event of their being successful at the very competitive Dockyard Entrance Examination. The proposal met with general approval and thus it was that from 1951 to 1959, successive groups of candidates contributed the grand sum of Lm 874, 17s, 8d to a special fund. The monument stands on a circular base 24 ft in diameter in the centre of which rise a 35 ft. concrete column 8 ft wide and 3 ft.4 ins thick. The face looking towards the College Drive represents the Founder of the Brothers with on his right hand two teenage apprentices surrounded by the tools of their trade. The whole scene is made up of 100,000 pieces of mosaic of 120 colours blended together. On the opposite side of the monument, an inscription in bronze reads: “TO HONOUR ST. JOHN BAPTIST DE LA SALLE COLLEGE STUDENTS DOCKYARD APPRENTICES 1951 – 1959” The monument was unveiled...   ... (English)
Colegio De La Salle (Malta) - Español -> English  
by Panoramio