POI: 36.049444, 14.191944
Dwejra Tower (Maltese: Torri tad-Dwejra), sometimes known as Qawra Tower (Maltese: Torri tal-Qawra), is a small watchtower in Dwejra Bay, limits of San Lawrenz on the island of Gozo in Malta. It was completed in 1652, and is one of the Lascaris towers. Today, it is in good condition and is open to the public. It is one of four surviving coastal watchtowers in Gozo, with the others being Xlendi Tower, Mġarr ix-Xini Tower and Isopu Tower.
HistoryThe Dwejra Tower was built in 1652 during the magistracy of Grand Master Giovanni Paolo Lascaris, and was funded by the Università of Gozo. It is one of the Lascaris towers, and the intention behind its construction was for it to act as a watchtower and guard the surrounding areas from oncoming enemies, most especially pirate landings. This tower, just like the other towers, could communicate to nearby defence fortifications through fire and smoke, at night and during the day respectively. The expenses for running the tower were covered by producing salt from the salt pans near it. It was equipped with three 6-pounder guns in the eighteenth century. In 1744, Grand Master Pinto made going to the Fungus Rock illegal because a fungus which grew there was believed to have medicinal powers, and Dwejra Tower was used as a lookout to prevent anyone climbing on the islet. The tower was manned by the Royal Malta Fencible Artillery between 1839 and 1873. It was then abandoned until 1914, during the time of the First World War, when the King's Own Malta Regiment and the Royal Malta Artillery were dispatched and it was manned by No 3 Company with two, and later four, 12-pounder guns. It was again used in World War II as an observation post, and in 1942 Captain Frank Debono and Carmelo Zahra, who were stationed there, rescued an RAF pilot who had crashed in the bay. The tower was leased to Gerald de Trafford in 1956. It was passed on loan to Din l-Art Ħelwa in a state of complete decay.
Present dayThe tower was restored by Din l-Art Ħelwa between 1997 and 1999. It is now in good condition and is open to the public at no charge.
In popular cultureDwejra Tower was used in the filming of the 1963 film Treasure in Malta and the 1985 film Among Wolves.
External linksNational Inventory of the Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands... ... (English)
Nearby sights panorama
Fungus Rock (414m)
Inland Sea, Gozo (480m)
Azure Window (578m)
San Lawrenz (1261m)
San Lawrenz (1772m)
Ta' Pinu (2496m)
Xlendi Tower (3091m)
Fontana, Gozo (3186m)
Giordan Lighthouse (3472m)
Gozo Museum of Archaeology (4228m)