Virtual tour of Rossio Square. Panorama of Rossio Square. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  panorama

Rossio Square

POI: 38.713889, -9.139444
Rossio Square is the popular name of the Pedro IV Square (Portuguese: Praça de D. Pedro IV) in the city of Lisbon, in Portugal. It is located in the Pombaline Downtown of Lisbon and has been one of its main squares since the Middle Ages. It has been the setting of popular revolts and celebrations, bullfights and executions, and is now a preferred meeting place of Lisbon natives and tourists alike. The current name of the Rossio pays homage to Pedro IV, King of Portugal. The Column of Pedro IV is in the middle of the square.
History and highlights
Origins
The Rossio became an important place in the city during the 13th and 14th centuries, when the population of the city expanded to the lower area surrounding the Lisbon Castle hill. The name "rossio" is roughly equivalent to the word "commons" in English, and refers to a commonly owned terrain. Around 1450, the Palace of Estaus, destined to house foreign dignitaries and noblemen visiting Lisbon, was built on the north side of the square. After the Inquisition was installed in Lisbon, the Palace of Estaus became its seat, and the Rossio was frequently used as setting for public executions. The first auto-da-fé took place in 1540. In 1492, King John II ordered the building of one of the most important civil and charitative infrastructures in old Lisbon, the All-Saints Royal Hospital (Hospital Real de Todos os Santos). The Hospital was finished in 1504, during the reign of King Manuel I, and occupied the whole eastern side of the square. Old pictures show the façade of the Hospital to consist of a long building with an arched gallery. The portal to the chapel of the Hospital, facing the Rossio, had a magnificent façade in manueline style. Near the northeastern corner of the square, actually in the neighbouring St Domingo Square, is located the Palace of the Almadas, recognisable by its early 18th century red façade. In 1640, this Palace was the meeting point of Portuguese noblemen who conspired against Spain and led to the independence of Portugal from Spanish rule. The building is also called the Palace of the Independence for this reason. The Convent of St Domingo was established in the 13th century by the Rossio. Their church was greatly damaged by the 1755 earthquake and was rebuilt in baroque style. Its façade dominates the small St Domingo square.
1755 earthquake and rebuilding
Most buildings around the Rossio date from the reconstruction of the Pombaline Downtown carried out after the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake, which levelled most structures in the area, including the magnificent All-Saints Hospital. Only the Palace of the Independence survived the catastrophic earthquake. The rebuilding of the Rossio was undertaken in the second half of the 18th century by architects Eugénio dos Santos and Carlos Mardel, responsible for the typical Pombaline appearance of the buildings around the square. From the Pombaline reconstruction dates the Bandeira Arch (Arco da Bandeira), a building...   ... (English)
Rossio - Deutsch -> English  Nederlandse -> English  Français -> English  Polska -> English  Italiano -> English  Español -> English  
Площадь Росиу - Русский -> English  
ロシオ広場 - 日本語 -> English  
Praça de D. Pedro IV - Português -> English  
罗西乌广场 - 简体中文 -> English  
by Panoramio

Mircea_RAICU
go place
Lisbon
Lisbon
Martin (WPF)
go place
El color de África en Lisboa
El color de África en Lisboa
Karppanta
go place
1,2,3, ...Matutinal gymnastics - Lisboa 2009
1,2,3, ...Matutinal gymnastics - Lisboa 2009
Alfredo Henriques
go place
Lisboa. Stazione del Rossio
Lisboa. Stazione del Rossio
Oberto
go place
Estação ferroviária do Rossio, Santa Justa - Lisboa
Estação ferroviária do Rossio, Santa Justa - Lisboa
João Paulo Coutinho
go place
Rossio
Rossio
Oberto
go place