Virtual tour of Helgeandsholmen. Panorama of Helgeandsholmen. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  panorama

Helgeandsholmen

POI: 59.327900, 18.069700
Helgeandsholmen (Swedish: [ˈheːlɡɛ.andsˌhɔlmɛn]) is a small island in central Stockholm, Sweden. It is located north of Stadsholmen, and east of Strömsborg, with which, together with Riddarholmen, it forms Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm. Helgeandsholmen contains the Riksdag Building and the Museum of Medieval Stockholm, and is connected to neighbouring islands through three bridges: Riksbron, Stallbron, and Norrbro. The terrace in the eastern end, called Strömparterren ("The Stream Parterr"), is a public park with a restaurant dating from 1832, while the flight of stairs leading down to the water is from 1807-1810. The quay west of the Riksdag Building once surrounded the Bank of Sweden and was thus named Bankkajen ("The Bank Quay"), while the streets on southern and northern side are called Norra/Södra Helgeandstrappan ("The Northern/Southern Helgeand Stairs"), all of them named in 1925.
Origin of the name
First mentioned in a letter written in Latin July 28, 1320 the name 'Helgeandsholmen', a corruption of Helige andens holme ("Islet of the Holy Spirit"), appears as in insula dicta helghaanzsholm ("on the island called Helgeandsholm"). At the time, helgeandshus (Old Swedish: hälgha ands hus. hälandzhus, helghanzhhws, hälianshus) was a name used for charitable institutions spiritual in nature, in Stockholm first mentioned in a testament from April 24, 1301 (domus sancti spiritus).
History
A set of islets
Though one regular shaped island today, Helgeandsholmen was until quite recently a set of islets. Before the start of extensive archaeological excavations in 1978, it was traditionally believed that the present island once encompassed three islets: A larger main island to the south, called Helgeandsholmen from the 14th century. The excavations, however, convincingly showed that during the early Middle Ages this island in fact consisted of two smaller islets, of which we know absolutely nothing. And, north of this major island, two smaller ones, once the property of the abbey at Klara: One called Barkarholmen ("Bark Islet"), suggesting there was a tanning business here as bark was an important raw material for tanning. This islet was also known as Klosterholmen ("Abbey Islet"). And, east of Barkarholmen, a rocky islet called Lilla Stockholm ("Little Log Islet") in the 16th century, renamed Bryggeriholmen ("Brewery Islet") during the 17th century (in reference to a brewery in operation 1641-45), and after that called Slaktarholmen ("Butcher's Islet") after a slaughterhouse operating there. Lilla Stockholm disappeared when Norrbro was finally completed in 1806.
The Helgeand House
As mentioned above, a charitable institution organized by a pious foundation was located on the island, receiving sick people, poor and elderly as well as foreigners, and accepting donations from burghers in city, through which the institution became an important landowner. The original Helgeandshuset ("The House of the Holy Spirit") probably...   ... (English)
Хельгеандсхольмен - Русский -> English  
Helgeandsholmen - Français -> English  Polska -> English  Italiano -> English  Español -> English  Català -> English  Português -> English  Norske -> English  Svenska -> English  Magyar -> English  Danske -> English  Suomalainen -> English  
Гельгеандсгольмен - Український -> English  
圣灵岛 - 简体中文 -> English  
by Panoramio
Stockholm
Stockholm
LiborM.net
go place
Stockholm, fishing nets
Stockholm, fishing nets
longdistancer
go place
Guàrdia Real, Estocolm
Guàrdia Real, Estocolm
angel&marta
go place
Riddersholm
Riddersholm
LegaTim
go place
Opera
Opera
MARAS1999
go place
Riksdagshuset and Riddarholmen Church
Riksdagshuset and Riddarholmen Church
Igor Simic
go place
Stockholm - Riksdagshuset
Stockholm - Riksdagshuset
M. Podt
go place