Virtual tour of Tweed Courthouse. Panorama of Tweed Courthouse. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  panorama

Tweed Courthouse

POI: 40.713167, -74.006000
The Old New York County Courthouse at 52 Chambers Street in Manhattan, New York City, more commonly known as the Tweed Courthouse, was built in Italianate style with Romanesque Revival interiors, using funds provided by the corrupt William M. "Boss" Tweed, whose Tammany Hall political machine controlled the city and state governments at the time. The outer shell of the building was constructed from 1861–1872 by the architect John Kellum, with the political appointee Thomas Little. Construction was interrupted when the kickbacks and corruption involved in the construction of the building were disclosed to the public. The project was completed by architect Leopold Eidlitz who added the rear wing and interior renovations from 1877–1881, departing from Kellum's classicism with "an American version of organic architecture expressed through medieval forms". The building was designated a New York City landmark and added to the National Register of Historic Places, both in 1984, when it was called "one of the city's grandest and most important civic monuments". It was named a National Historic Landmark in 1986. Modern restoration and historic preservation of the courthouse were completed in 2001, and the building is now home to the New York City Department of Education. The Tweed Courthouse is the second oldest city government building in Manhattan, after City Hall.
Architecture
The building is composed of a central section with two projecting wings, with an addition in the center on the south facade. The entry portico on the main Chambers Street facade (illustration) rises three and a half stories from a low granite curb, supported by four Corinthian columns. Panels of granite and Tuckahoe and Sheffield marbles are anchored to the outside of the brick structure, with rusticated stone at the basement level. This main wing was designed by Kellum in the style of the Renaissance palazzo, described as the "Anglo-Italianate" style to reveal the influence of British Victorian architecture that was the foundation of the popular American Victorian style. The southern wing of the courthouse was constructed in the Romanesque Revival style by the German-born architect and theoretician Leopold Eidlitz, who added the wide rotunda enclosing the central courtyard, which Kellum had intended to be capped with a dome, which was never built. On the east and west sides of the rotunda are sets of cast iron stairs that run from the first to the third floors. The pillars on the interior were faux painted to resemble marble pillars, and the cast-iron handrails at the staircase were painted with a wood-grained finish.
History
The location had previously been occupied by the public commons and a poorhouse. Tweed became one of the wealthiest New Yorkers of the day by using the construction of the building as a pretext to embezzle millions of dollars from the city government and the public. A series of disruptions culminated in the trial of "Boss" Tweed in an unfinished...   ... (English)
Твидов суд - Русский -> English  
Tweed Courthouse - Français -> English  
Antiguo Palacio de Justicia del Condado de Nueva York - Español -> English  
特威德法院大楼 - 简体中文 -> English  
by Panoramio
ROCKEFELLER CENTER
ROCKEFELLER CENTER
anaberdi
go place
022 New York, Skyline Manhattan
022 New York, Skyline Manhattan
Daniel Meyer
go place
ASOMADO AL ROCKEFELLER / OVERLOOKING THE ROCKEFELLER
ASOMADO AL ROCKEFELLER / OVERLOOKING THE ROCKEFELLER
anaberdi
go place
 un tributo a los miles de emigrantes del mundo que hicieron de New York una gran ciudad video:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSLn_oZOiBU
un tributo a los miles de emigrantes del mundo que hicieron de New York una gran ciudad video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSLn_oZOiBU
ramtto
go place
030 New York, City Hall Park, City Hall, Municipal Building
030 New York, City Hall Park, City Hall, Municipal Building
Daniel Meyer
go place
Court Building
Court Building
Jeff T. Alu
go place
Haute Normandie
Haute Normandie
Olivier Faugeras
go place