Virtual tour of St. George's Cathedral, Cape Town. Panorama of St. George's Cathedral, Cape Town. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  panorama

St. George's Cathedral, Cape Town

POI: -33.925000, 18.419444
St George's Cathedral (in full, The Cathedral Church of St George the Martyr) is the Anglican cathedral in Cape Town, South Africa. It is the seat of the Archbishop of Cape Town.St George’s Cathedral is both the metropolitical church of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa and a congregation in the Diocese of Cape Town. The cathedral was designed by Sir Herbert Baker and the foundation stone was laid in 1901. The cathedral replaced a church built in 1834 on the same site, and is still incomplete.
History
In October 1827, the Bishop of Calcutta, on a visit to Cape Town which was, at the time, a distant outpost of his diocese, discussed the building of an Anglican church. Up until that time the Anglican community had used the Cape Town Castle for services, later being offered hospitality by the Groote Kerk. The colonial government donated a site at the lower end of the Dutch East India Company's gardens at the corner of Government Avenue and Wale Street and the bishop consecrated the land. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Sir Lowry Cole on St. George's day 23 April 1830 and at the same time Erste Berg Dwars Street was renamed St. George's Street. The church was built from drawings by the architect John Skirrow based on W & H Inwood's Neo-Greek St. Pancras' Church in London. Losing heavily on the deal, Hermann Schutte was the building contractor. The cathedral cost estimated ₤16,000 to build. On 21 December 1834 that St. George's Church opened for services. Upon diplomat Edmund Roberts visit in 1834, George Hough was chaplain and the church had a capacity of 1,000 people with 300 seats for the poor. In 1847, Robert Gray was ordained bishop of the newly created Diocese of Cape Town and he installed his cathedra (throne) in the church, by which act it became a cathedral even though it was only a modest parish church. His dream was to build a more worthy building on the site but his wishes never materialised during his episcopate which lasted until his death in 1872. On 17 May 1874, William West Jones was ordained second bishop and metropolitan of Cape Town (almost 25 years later he was elevated to archbishop) and by 1887 the diocesan synod had appointed a committee to collect money for a new cathedral but it was not until 22 August 1901 that the Duke of Cornwall and York (later to become King George V) laid the foundation stone bearing the letters AMDG Latin: Ad Majoram Dei Gloriam, lit. 'To the Greater Glory of God'. Paradoxically, this is the only visible instance of these letters which are chiselled on the inward-facing surface of each and every stone in the cathedral, a custom dating from ancient times. The South-African War was still in progress at the time and as a result it was not until 1904 that work was resumed and the foundations were laid. In 1908 West Jones returned to England. By the time of his departure, the eastern end of the cathedral was well under way but he died two months later. It was decided that the new chapel...   ... (English)
Cathédrale Saint-Georges (Le Cap) - Français -> English  
Catedral de San Jorge (Ciudad del Cabo) - Español -> English  
by Panoramio
: Paisaje urbano
: Paisaje urbano
Lazariparcero
go place
Cape Town (from Table Mountain)
Cape Town (from Table Mountain)
Yulia Zyulyaeva (Uka)
go place
Greenmarket Square
Greenmarket Square
Emiliano Homrich
go place
Tuinhuys - Company's Garden
Tuinhuys - Company's Garden
Emiliano Homrich
go place
Cape Town Garden
Cape Town Garden
Yulia Zyulyaeva (Uka)
go place
Cape Town, City Hall
Cape Town, City Hall
© Wim
go place
South African Museum
South African Museum
Emiliano Homrich
go place